Sports have been played at the site of Loftus Versfeld Stadium since 1903, but a first modest stadium was built in 1923. The one concrete stand could hold about 2,000 spectators.
Further improvements were made in the following years, and in 1932 the stadium was named in honour of Loftus Versfeld, who had instigated the development of organised sports in Pretoria.
From 1948, Loftus Versfeld was gradually further developed, and in particular in the 1970s underwent several expansions. By the 1980s, the stadium had reached most of its current shape.
Loftus Versfeld Stadium was selected as a playing venue for the 2010 World Cup. As a result, it underwent a thorough refurbishment.
During the tournament, the stadium hosted five first round group matches and the round of 16 match between Paraguay and Japan.
For most of its history, Loftus Versfeld primarily hosted rugby matches, and it is owned by local rugby club Blue Bulls.